Wednesday, December 5, 2012

First Lines: November 2012

The first words you read can often set the tone for the entire story.  I thought it would be fun to keep track of the first lines of the books I read each month and share them with you.  Below are the first lines for all the books I read in November. 


Ungifted by Gordon Korman
"I want a refund from Ancestry.com."

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
"When he was nearly thirteen my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow."

I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore
"In the beginning there were nine of us."


 The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken
"Grace Somerfield was the first to die."


The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
"I was born with water on the brain."

 Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep
"'I know your secret'"


 Kiss of Frost by Jennifer Estep
"Logan Quinn was trying to kill me."


Dark Frost by Jennifer Estep
" 'If you guys don't stop making out, I'm going to be sick.' "


 Crimson Frost by Jennifer Estep
" 'I have a confession to make' "

 Splintered by A.G. Howard
"I've been collecting bugs since I was ten; it's the only way I can stop their whispers."

My favorite first line this month was Splintered, followed closely by Ungifted.  They were unique, and they grabbed me right away.  My least favorite was every Jennifer Estep line, especially "I know your secret", overdone and lame!

I would love to hear your favorite first lines for November!

2 comments:

Jennifer @ A Librarians Library said...

You know, I have never thought about it, but it is so true! First lines do say a lot about the book! Interesting feature! I may have to try this next year, if you don't mind!

Zabet said...

Not at all Jennifer! It would be great if you could give me a link back. :)

Post a Comment