Sunday, November 3, 2013

First Lines: October 2013

The first words you read can often set the tone for the entire story.  I thought it would be fun to keep track of the first lines of the books I read each month and share them with you.  Below are the first lines for all the books I read in October.

 Bellman & Black by Diane Setterfield
"I have heard it said, by those that cannot possibly know, that in the final moments of a man's existence he sees his whole life pass before his eyes."


The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
"The hours were bad."


Curtsies & Conspiracies by Gail Carriger
"'Miss Temminnick, Miss Plumleigh-Teignmott, with me, please, ladies.'"


Shine by Lauren Myracle
"Patrick's house was a ghost."



"Dear Mr. S. Harris, Ignore the blob of red in the top left corner."


"When I was ten years old, I wrote a letter to my future self and buried it in my backyard."


"Ashline Wilde was a human mood ring."

My favorite this month was probably from Hyperbole and a Half, though Ketchup clouds is a close second.  I love the uniqueness of both of these lines and how they immediately draw you into the scene.

My least favorite line was probably Curtsies & Conspiracies because a) it was boring and b) it reminded me of those sheer ridiculousness of the names in this series.

0 comments:

Post a Comment