Friday, July 6, 2012

Feature & Follow Friday (7)

Feature & Follow is hosted by Parajunkee & Alison Can Read

This week's question is:

Jumping Genres: Ever pick up a book from a genre you usually don’t like and LOVE it? Tell us about it and why you picked it up in the first place.

I have been doing that a lot actually.  Mostly because I started this blog and wanted it to better reflect the various genres and because with Goodreads, NetGalley and Edelweiss, I am coming across fun and interesting books from many genres that I never would have found on my own.  
The first time that I remember branching out and LOVING a book was in my Science Fiction and Fantasy course in University.  Our prof chose Ender's Game as required reading.  I never read Science Fiction and I didn't have high hopes but I ended up loving every minute of it.  The characters were wonderful and the plot was riveting.  I still recommend it to my students (though I take issue with the author's personal politics - but that is a discussion for another day).  
 I haven't really picked up any Science Fiction in the last little while, so I would love any recommendations!

 Here are some of the other "Jumping Genres" titles that I have enjoyed in the last few months:

Romance 

 Fantasy  

YA Contemporary Fiction

YA Sports Fiction

Memoir


 

8 comments:

@MelissaJoLynn_ said...

I just started Ender's Game. It was recommend to me by my cousin and a favorite author said she liked it so I figured why not try it. I'm not usually a big sci fi lover so I've been pleasantly surprised so far. I was so surprised to see that the main character was only 6 at first. He seemed so mature. My answer was a dystopian book. My F&F
-Melissa @HarleyBearBooks

AP said...

Enders Games has appear on several lists this week. I think they are going to make a new movie from it.

new linky follower

-Amanda P
Paranormal Romance

Michael @ The Bookshelf Review said...

Great answer. I really want to read Ender's Game. It sounds like an awesome book. Soon maybe. For another science fiction recommendation I would suggest Across the Universe by Beth Revis. Amazing Science fiction. =] New Follower. =]
Here is My FF
Michael @ The Bookshelf Review

Cassi Haggard said...

Ender's Game is one of my all time favorite books! I want to read it again but I know it'll never be the same as the first time around. It's just a classic sci-fi book though.

My follow friday! Please visit! New follower! (I think I may have been #100 on GFC! Woot!)

Anonymous said...

Wow, some really great-looking books there! and I'm not much of a person to approach sci-fi either :/ and my first time seeing Sports fiction, actually! for YA anyway...hmmm, if I were to venture far away, that'd be the book I'd read, haha! Thanks for sharing all these awesome titles ^_^

New follower via NB and Linky! Come visit me sometime ^_^

Vivi's Feature&Follow

Alison Can Read said...

Hopping through. I got Jenny Lawson's book at BEA.I need to read it. It sounds really funny.
My Hop

Zabet said...

Thank you all for the lovely comments.

@HarleyBearBooks, please come back and let me know how you feel about the age when you have finished!

@AmandaP, I saw that but I am waiting for more information to decide if it will be worth a night out to the theater.

@Michael, thanks for the recommendation - I will check it out.

@Cassi, I would like to re-read it as well but I don't think it would be the same since I now know what happens and the first time I didn't see the plot twist coming AT ALL! And yes, I do think you were #100! WOOT!

@Vivian, Sports fiction is a growing sub-genre. I find it particularly helpful with the male reluctant readers in my classes and for those who are "too cool" for reading.

Elle said...

Great pick!!! I have been very skeptical of Sci-fi. New follower!!
Elle@ http://lovebigreadbig.blogspot.com/2012/07/feature-and-follow-5.html

Post a Comment