Friday, January 31, 2014

First Lines: January 2014

The first words you read can often set the tone for the entire story.  I thought it would be fun to keep track of the first lines of the books I read each month and share them with you.  Below are the first lines for all the books I read in January.


Seraphina by Rachel Hartman
"I remember being born."

 Waking Kate by Sarah Addison Allen
 "Kate was in the kitchen putting ice cubes on a plate of sliced tomatoes and cucumbers, two glasses of wine on the counter next to her, when she heard the evening news come on."

The Lure by Lynne Ewing
"The night heat melted over me, the quiet unsettling since the laughter had stopped."

Antigoddess by Kendare Blake
"The feathers were starting to be a nuisance."

Manor of Secrets by Katherine Longshore
"Adventure awaits."

The Shadow Throne by Jennifer A. Nielsen
"In my life, I'd had my share of fights, sometimes with fists, sometimes with knives, occasionally with a sword."

How to Lead a Life of Crime by Kirsten Miller
"My father never wasted his wisdom on me."

The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton
"To many, I was myth incarnate, the embodiment of a most superb legend, a fairy tale."

My favorite first line this month was from The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender.  I have not yet finished the book, but from the very first line it set up the beautiful and whimsical language that Leslye Walton favors and which lends a magical quality to this book.  

My least favorite line was from Manor of Secrets.  "Adventure awaits." was far too simple and boring for my taste.  Unfortunately, it was also indicative of the type of character that the book featured.  It was not terribly bad, but it certainly wasn't all that great either. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment